Task Force Tribute Launch Event
By Michigan Veterans Affairs Association
On Sunday, August 21, 2022, the Michigan National Guard is presenting the Task Force Tribute launch event on the Capitol lawn. Task Force Tribute is a veteran-inspired journey of remembrance, honoring the 7,074 servicemembers who gave their lives in combat operations since 9/11. A mile will be traveled for each servicemember who gave the ultimate sacrifice. The journey kicks off in Lansing on the Capitol lawn on 8/21, and ends in Washington D.C. on 9/11. All are invited to the launch event on 8/21, so please consider attending, and share with your military, veteran, and veteran stakeholder networks.
That job though…
If you’re a veteran seeking assistance with employment, an employer looking to hire veteran talent, or a veteran stakeholder touching “veteran employment” in any aspect, you need to be aware of and connect with Veterans’ Employment Services (VES). Housed within the Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity, VES’s team of veteran employees has personnel throughout Michigan helping veterans reduce or eliminate barriers to employment, and connecting job-ready veterans with employers looking for their skillsets.
But, how do you….plug in?
Lots of ways. Check out the long list of opportunities, attached. Maybe join the VFW National Home and the Lansing Area Veterans Coalition on 8/17, where they’re inviting statewide veteran resource providers and advocates to tour the VFW National Home and network with Lansing area and statewide resource providers (limited to the first 100 in-person, so register soon). If you haven’t visited the VFW National Home in Eaton Rapids – it’s a national treasure for veterans right here in Michigan.
Did You Know…
- …that there are funds available for the 9/11 National Day of Service for volunteer projects on/around 9/11, for eligible orgs? Apply by 8/12!
- …that there are opportunities for veterans to learn art through many avenues? For example – for the Yoopers – the Oscar G. Johnson VA Medical Center has classes at the Bonifas Arts Center in Escanaba (Aug 9 is fused glass; Sept 21 is painting w/a palette knife; Oct 4 is wool painting; Nov 8 & 29 is pottery; Dec 6 is acrylic painting). All free. For vets. Check out the spreadsheet and visit bonifas.org/classes or call 906-786-3833 to register.
- …that the USDA’s National Institute for Food and Agriculture recently awarded $5M to community farming programs for vets? This award highlights eight AgVets projects, one of which is Michigan-based!
- …that David Woods Bartley is coming to the Upper Peninsula in August to talk suicide prevention? Check out his 9-stop Yoop tour, below!
- …that there are a plethora of opportunities to connect to resources, some of which include…
- …the Veterans Resource Fair on 7/29 in Croswell
- …the Veterans Resource Fair on 8/11 in Southfield
- …the Veterans Benefit Fair on 8/11 in Cheboygan
- …the Vet Fest – Livingston County on 8/13 in Fowlerville
- …the Veterans Resource Fair on 8/18 in Holly
- …the Veterans Celebration at LMCU Ballpark on 8/27 in Comstock Park
- …the Veterans Resource Deployment event on 9/9 in Muskegon
- …the Veterans Lunch and Learn on Veteran Benefits on 9/16 in Traverse City.
- ……all of these can be viewed on the attached.